THE SPECIFICS OF YUAN’S INTERNATIONALIZATION IN THE DEBT FINANCIAL ISTRUMENTS MARKETS.
The article addresses the crucial aspects of rising need for actual onshore funding in RMB through panda bonds or other potential options, such as direct loans from local banks or fully funded swaps in RMB. Also, the alternative of well-known dim-sum
Actual problems of international relations. Release 139. 2019
market of Hong Kong should be carefully considered. The features of onshore and offshore funding for multinational companies are examined. Many international corporates, financials and multilateral institutions already have Asian currencies embedded in their issuance programs. A lot of them have significant economic ties to China. The outstanding volume of China’s bond market has surpassed RMB 70,4 trillion (approximately USD 10,6 trillion) in the August 2017, making in the third largest in the world. Significant changes in the structure of such issues are the subject of analysis carried out. Theoretically substantiated the role and place of RMB in the development of China’s bond market. With the inclusion of RMB into the SDR basket and ongoing market-based reform of the RMB exchange rate regime, China’s bond market will continue to attract interest from foreign issuers. The conclusion of the author : internationalization of yuan reflects the efforts to make the domestic bond market more accessible and attractive to foreign issuers and investors, meanwhile boosted by continuous progress on the pilot program of panda bonds, an expanding pool of practical knowledge, and more sophisticated systems and rules, the panda bond market is expected to achieve more progress in the competition with Hong Kong for offshore RMB funding through traditional dim-sum market.
Keywords: onshore funding, offshore funding, Panda bonds, Dim sum bonds, RMB’ internationalization.
1. Dekker, A., Sen, K, and Young, M. (2001), `Equity market linkages in the Asia Pacific region. A comparison of the orthogonalised and generalized VAR approaches’ Global Finance Journal, 12, pp. 1-33.
2. Disclaimer for the Consolidated Main Board Listing Rules. Available at:< https://www.en-rules.hkex.com.hk/net_file_store/new_rulebooks/c/o/consol_mb.pdf>
3. HKEX Fact Book 2016. (2016) Available at: < https://www.hkex.com.hk/-/media/HKEX-Market/Market-Data/Statistics/Consolidated-Reports/HKEX-Fact-Book/HKEX-Fact-Book-2016/FB_2016.pdf?la=en>
4. HKEX Trading Hall Fact Sheet. (2017) Available at:< https://www.hkex.com.hk/-/media/HKEX-Market/News/News-Release/2017/171027news/1027_Trading-Hall-Fact-Sheet_ENG.pdf?la=en>
5. Hong Kong Monetary Authority. Oversight of Financial Market Infrastructures. (2018) Available at:< https://www.hkma.gov.hk/media/eng/doc/key-functions/banking-stability/oversight/FMI_oversight.pdf>
6. Li MC. (2003) ` Wealth, volume and stock market volatility: case of Hong Kong (1993-2001)’ Available at:<Trinity Economics Papers 20035 >
7. Lin JL, Wu CS. (2006)` Modeling China stock markets and international linkages’ Available at:<J Chinese Stat Assoc 44:1–31>
8. PricewaterhouseCoopers (2016) Report :`The Financial Services Landscape in Hong Kong’ Available at:<https://www.pwccn.com/en/financial-services/fs-lanscape-hk-mar2016.pdf>
9. Wang Y, Di Iorio A.(2007) `Are the China-related stock markets segmented with both world and regional stock markets?’ Available at:< International Money 17:277–290>
10. Сhina’s Debt Crackdown Helps Revive Flagging Dim Sum Market. Bloomberg News, (June 14, 2018). Available at:< https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-06-14/china-s-debt-crackdown-helps-revive-flagging-dim-sum-bond-market>
11. Prognoz PricewaterhouseCoopers (2015) [Listing na fondovoy birzhe Honkonga] Available at :< https://www.pwc.ru/ru/events/2015/assets/asia/listing-in-hong-kong-ru.pdf>
12. Pantyleeva N.M. (2017) The financial and credit system of Ukraine in the conditions of integration and globalization processes: Materials of the XVI All-Ukrainian scientific and practical conference of students and postgraduates. April 20-21, 2017 - Cherkasy: ChNNI DVNZ "University of Banking", 2017. - 549 p.
13. Andreev V. P, (2011) Internationalization of the yuan. Foreign experience. Electronic resource: http://www.cbr.ru/content/document/file/27006/andreev_05_11.pdf
14. Andreev V. P, (2017) Bonds in RMB as an alternative means of credit capital. Money and credit # 5.